Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The "Dreaded" Sugar Test

At today's appointment, I had to do the glucose tolerance test, or as I've heard other people refer to it: "drink the nasty drink." I have come to a conclusion by doing this. I think I need to be done listening to other people's opinions on anything pregnancy or childbirth related, unless what they have to say is extremely positive. I am an extreme worrier by nature and hearing people's bad experiences about anything I don't know about, but will soon find out about, only makes the worry and fear that much worse. I had psyched myself out that this drink was going to be so nasty, I was going to have trouble drinking it, etc., etc. However, I am happy to say that I will put myself in the category of people who didn't mind it. I definitely didn't hate it...it was kinda good. It reminded me of drinking a flat Sunkist. Not half bad. So if you have positive stories to tell me about pregnancy and childbirth, bring it on. Otherwise, I may need to wait until after I've experienced it to hear your story! :)

At our appointment this morning, Karys was pretty mellow. Usually when we hear her heartbeat it's over 160 beats/min. Today, she was only at 142. My doctor said she was probably chilled out from all that sugar we had to have! :)

We're up to 28 weeks now...only 12 weeks left to go! Yikes! And for those of you asking if we've got everything ready, NO! I have to get out of school before I have any time to get her room ready. So needless to say, that's June's project! Thank goodness she's supposed to be a late-July baby!

5 comments:

Jaime said...

I remember the glucose test and I didn't think the stuff you drink was that bad, either. And, I'm purely a water drinker--no cokes, juices, milk (blech!) or anything else (except for the occasional creamer with a little coffee). I do remember it making me burp, though. But, that was just annoying. :-)

Glad all is progressing so well! Only 12 more weeks--wow! You don't look that far along!

Mommy Lion said...

WhooHoo!
I didn't mind the orange stuff either. The not eating part was more annoying than the drink! ;o)
I had great pregnancies and birthing experiences - I'd do it all over again . . . for someone else! ;o)

Caci said...

yeah, people said the same thing to me about the drink being horrible, but I agree with you...it was like a flat sunkist....not too bad if you got it cold enough. I think it was the fact that I had to drink it in a certain amount of time that made it less appealing, because I am not a fast drinker.
Anyway, I am glad everything is going well for you!

Kristy said...

With Jack I had to orange drink and boy did it taste like flat sunkist. With Sophia I had a lime drink, again it was like flat sprite.

I do agree with you about the negative pregnancy stories! I failed almost all of the first rounds of test with Sophia, quad screen and glucose test... I worried more because of things the internet said than what my doc was saying!

Those next 12 weeks will go by so fast!

Unknown said...

Sarah Fruge says... :)
Here is a positive birth story for you:
My labor was SO easy! My epidural was one of the best things that's ever happened to me!

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)