Thursday, October 21, 2010

God Is So Good :)


In case you weren't aware, Ryan and I have had concerns over Karys's speech for months now. Well before she turned 2, we realized that she was not progressing in ways typical for kids her age. It's not that she's not intelligent, it's that the words that she does have are very hard to understand. Back in the spring we were referred by our pediatrician to ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) and we had a lady come out and do a developmental assessment on her and she said that she was going to get in touch with the speech therapist and they'd come back together because she had a feeling she would qualify. The time that she called with a speech therapist available we weren't going to be available and then I never heard from her again.

At Karys's two year check up I told the doctor about this and she referred us to a private therapy center. The problem was going to be that our insurance wasn't going to kick in for it for awhile and it's quite pricey. So Ryan told me he wanted me to get back in touch with ECI again. I called their main office a couple of weeks ago and was told they'd get me a new referral and someone would call back in a few days. This past Monday I hadn't heard back yet so I called again and this time someone actually put the referral into the computer while I was on the phone with her. I was told I'd hear back from someone in 7-10 business days. The NEXT DAY I got a call from the lady we worked with previously who said that she was going to get in touch with the speech therapist and call me the next day with whatever times she might be available. This morning I got a call at 8 saying that the speech therapist had a cancellation for today...could they come over and do her evaluation at 11:30. I was so psyched!! Getting things going this quickly is pretty much unheard of!!

They came over and asked lots of questions about development and language (things like: Does she play make-believe?...Answer: yes. Will she ask me "What's that?"...Answer: no.). They determined that she's right where she should be developmentally, but she's definitely lagging behind in speech. One thing the therapist noticed was that she doesn't open her mouth very much when she talks (which I've already noticed) and said she was a little advanced in her language, as far as what she knows...she just can't articulate the words herself.

The next cool part in the story is that Karys will probably be working with the speech therapist's assistant, who just so happens to be someone I know!! Her son was in one of the classes I worked with at a daycare I worked at here in town several years ago. I don't know if she'll remember me, but she's a really nice woman and I'm so excited that we'll be getting to work with her!

I'm just seeing God's hand so clearly in this situation...the quick timing (which is almost unheard of), the availability of the speech therapist so quickly, and now getting to work with someone I'm familiar with. We've been praying about this situation and I can definitely testify that He answers prayer. God is good...all the time. :)

1 comment:

Piano mom said...

yeah! It is so amazing to see God's hand at work. After last week's lesson in Bible study, and learning new ways to pray, seeing it happen is "energizing". Thanks for sharing.

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)