Sunday, September 28, 2008

Girls Can Wear Blue Too!!

I would LOVE to know why when strangers see me out and about with my baby, they automatically assume she is a boy. She can be wearing the pinkest of all outfits and they stare right at her and call her a "he." It seriously happens pretty much everywhere we go. Usually if they ask a question about her I'll make sure to clearly say the word "she," but if they just make a comment about how cute "he" is, I just smile, say thank you, and go about my business. I mean, it's not like it's really going to affect them one way or the other to know that she's a girl instead of a boy. The reason I bring this up is because it just happened twice on our trip to Walmart. The above title is because the outfit she is wearing happens to be blue today. Normally, I might say that I understand since she's wearing blue, but this was one of the girliest outfits possible. It's one of those sunsuits (I think that's what they're called) that looks like a dress, but only in the front.

The outfit in question



So, the first woman to mistakenly identify her gender sees me in the formula aisle. She asks how old the baby is and then says something about him being a big baby...how much does he weigh? To which I reply, "At her one month check up, she weighed 9 lbs. 6 oz." which gets the reply of, "Oh, it's a girl?" Bear in mind that this woman is looking right at Karys; the outfit is trimmed in pink and she is wearing white socks WITH RUFFLES!! Her feet are very easy to see, in case I give this woman the benefit of the doubt and say maybe it was hard to see the whole outfit when she was strapped in her car seat. It's not hard to see her socks! The second woman to do the same thing is one of the employees handing out the free samples. As I'm walking past, she steps away from her post to come peek into the car seat and very confidently says, "Awww, it's a little boy." Aye yi yi!!


For those of you who haven't seen our car seat, here is a picture of it:
I picked this one because I thought it was pretty gender neutral. It didn't really scream "boy" or "girl" to me. The colors might be a little more masculine, but I thought they were balanced out by the polka dots...a little more girlie. Plus, I didn't want to get a car seat that was girlie because our plan is not to just have one baby. And should a subsequent baby be a boy, he would not be riding around in a pink car seat.


I guess that is the end to my rant. :) My question is this: does an infant girl have to be drowning in pink in order to be identified as a girl??? :)


See, even mommies can wear blue! :)

On a fun note, she has started "talking" back to us sometimes when we talk to her (meaning she makes her sweet baby noises on purpose). We caught some of this on video the other day and I tried to upload it. However apparently our video camera creates files that are too big for Blogger. So here's just a cute video I captured one day last week. Hopefully I'll get a "talking" video up here soon. Hope you enjoy!

6 comments:

Merrisa said...

Don't feel bad. Everytime we went to Wal-mart people would mistake Luke for a girl. And he has no outfits that even remotely look girly! I always assumed because he had a lot of hair, but Karys does too, so I guess its just inevitable!

Mike and Erin said...

I love your videos. I noticed she moves her head back and forth a lot. Jonas is constantly doing that too, which has created a big bald spot on the back of his head. Ezra had it too, but I guess since Jonas' hair is a little darker, it's more noticable. Does Karys have a bald spot? Just curious. People never thought Ezra was a girl. People always said he was very distinctly boy. However, Jonas does get it sometimes. Probably because he looks more like me. Poor kid. ;)

Josie said...

I always got "Oh she is so cute" I just wanted to scream its a boy. And I had a very boyish carseat it was blue and black. I really think that they just get so excited to take peek at babies that they don't really think to look first.lol...very cute pics. She is getting so big!!

Kristen said...

I remember a trip to Wal Mart with Ava when she was a newborn and completely decked out in pink (she even had a bow in her long hair!!!) and an elderly lady said "Oh what a sweet baby boy!" I blame it all on my masculine carrier. Alec was the first born and so we bought a tan and blue plaid car seat/carrier. It's almost like they don't even look at the baby at all! Love the video by the way!

Lindsay said...

She's getting so big! I can't believe anyone would mistake that beautiful little girl for a boy!

Mer said...

People just don't get it!!!!! I love your pic of the two of you! It goes to show you we live in a "speak before you think world":) Oh well...she's a beautiful baby girl! On a funny note, Mary referred to Garrett today as "her" and I said..Mary, he's a boy..she said huh!??? It only took 4 months to clarify!

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)