Thursday, August 15, 2013

Karys's 5th Birthday

I cannot believe that I have been a mom for a whole 5 years now! Karys is such a fun girl and she almost always has a bright smile on her face. This year she's even getting ready for kindergarten!

We had planned originally to do her birthday party at the splash pad here in town but after we did Zane's half-birthday party at our house she decided she wanted to her party here at the house too. It actually works really well for us too because it means we don't have to pack anything up and take it anywhere else!

She has decided lately that Daisy Duck is her favorite and she wanted a Daisy Duck birthday party. Well in case you haven't noticed, Daisy Duck is not really a main character in Mickey Mouse so it's hard to find her by herself. However, she and Minnie Mouse have teamed up for Minnie Mouse Bow-Tique so you can at least find them together! We were able to find plates at Walmart (yeah, for no expensive party supply store!) and then I just made the party theme with lots of purple since Daisy wears purple.

I also thought that since she was 5 it would be fun to play a game at the party since she and most of her friends are older so they could follow rules and everything. After a short online search I decided it would be fun to do a "Prize Walk." Basically it's like a Cake Walk but instead of winning a cake you win prizes. I was on the ball for this party (I kind of ended up throwing Zane's party together last minute) so a few weeks before the party the kids and I scoured the Dollar Tree for appropriate girl and boy prizes. We tried to get Minnie/Daisy and Mickey prizes wherever possible...and there were a lot! On the party day I drew a big circle on the carport with purple sidewalk chalk and made numbered spaces. However, I was not thinking about the fact that the kids would've been playing in the water before this and all of my chalk was going to disappear! Oh well, we winged it a bit and they had a good time. :)

I was going to create a birthday banner, but I ended up just taping each individual piece to the wall. :)

Friends eating together. We got this kids picnic table after Zane's party had already happened...it sure is perfect for friends to sit at together!

Cupcakes. Fitting with our Daisy Duck "purple" theme.

Opening presents. These sweet friends sat there and watched her open every single one. The other kids fizzled out quickly. :) Karys had told Zane she wanted him to be her present helper. He was probably one of the first to leave to get back in the pool! :)

Happy birthday, Karys! You're a whole hand now! Thanks, friends, for enduring two parties so close together for us! :)


3 comments:

Julie said...

So glad to see not one, but two, posts from you!! I also can't believe Karys is 5 years old and will be going to kindergarten!! I'm lucky I get to be an aunt to that sweet girl!

Mer said...

Sweet Karys!!! Happy birthday!!! Let me know how her first day goes!

Debra-Mom-Nana said...

I just now got around to reading this. You did a great job with her party. I know she and her friends loved it! I'm with you, though. I can't believe she's already 5 and starting to Kindergarten. Time can definitely get away from you!! I look forward to hearing all about her first day at school.

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)