Sunday, September 1, 2013

First Week of Kindergarten!

Karys is a kindergartener! It feels so weird to even say that or think it! School started on Tuesday this past week and so far it seems to be good. Especially for someone that has no "real" classroom experience. The first day of school we walked her in to her class. Ryan even went into work late so he could be apart of the fun. There were no tears from anyone! We had met her teacher the Thursday before and she is so sweet and gentle. I think she'll be the perfect fit for Karys. When we got to her class, her teacher, Mrs. Smith helped Karys unpack her backpack and showed her where to put her lunch and how to hang up her backpack. :) We told her goodbye and then Zane and I headed to the park to play with some friends because I didn't know how he would handle his partner in crime being gone all day! Thankfully the weather Tuesday morning was pretty mild and we ended up staying at the park 2 1/2 hours!! Just in time to go home, eat lunch, take a nap, and then go get Karys. When she got home from school we tried to ask her about her day and what she had done and it took awhile for her to remember what she had done. But we learned that she knew the name of one kid in the class and that she'd gotten to go to Music and they packed their school boxes with crayons, a pencil, a glue stick, and scissors. :)

The only thing I learned that she didn't like is P.E. They went on Wednesday and Thursday and she told me Wednesday that she didn't like it because all of the kids were running around and they might run into her. Karys can be a a crazy kid, but only in circumstances where there are not a lot of people around. Once it gets crowded she is fearful that bigger kids are going to push her or knock her down, whether it's on purpose or not. She said that the teacher told her to run and she told the teacher she didn't want to. :) I asked her what the teacher said and she told her to run and that she'd be okay. I asked Karys what she did after that and she said she ran. So I'm glad that she obeys even if she doesn't want to. I told her that she could choose to have fun, or she could choose to not have fun, but she couldn't choose not to do it. It was suggested to me to email her P.E. teacher just to tell her what was going on so I did that this afternoon and not soon after, she called me! She told me she read my email and thought, "I need to call her." She told me Karys wasn't the only one crying and that it just takes them awhile to get used to the kids being able to run around and be loud. A lot of the kids (Karys included) don't like when other kids are loud. She said they don't mind being loud themselves, but they don't want everyone else to be loud! :) I couldn't believe she called me on a Sunday, on a holiday weekend, when I wasn't even requesting a call! I'm thankful for where we are for school. :)

Oh, and if you missed the cute story on FB: those shoes Karys is wearing we bought special for school. They light up and every day when she puts on her shoes for school Zane wants his tennis shoes so he can be like Karys. I decided to go buy him some light up shoes the other day and as soon as he got them on he said, "Okay, I ready for school!" He really wants to be just like his big sister! :)

Obligatory first day pics :)


Taking a picture in front of the school with Zane

At the door to her class

With her sweet teacher :)


3 comments:

Julie said...

That's awesome that her P.E. teacher called you on a Sunday afternoon of Labor Day weekend! Sounds like Karys has some caring teachers!

Debra-Mom-Nana said...

I really love that her PE teacher called you today. I enjoyed reading about Karys's experience the first week of school. Getting off to a good start is such an important first step in a child's educational experiences.

carriealbee said...

That's such a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing. I cannot believe she is in kindergarten. Time really does fly. Love your sweet family!
Carrie Albee

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)