Monday, September 2, 2013

It's Possible...

First, some backstory. Every year at VBS, the fourth day of VBS presents salvation to the kids. They learn about how Jesus dies on the cross for our sins and that those who believe that and choose to ask him to be in charge of their lives are saved and go to heaven. This year our children's director asked that the leaders that felt comfortable helping a child pray to receive Christ come up to the front of the sanctuary during our finale when the kids are given the chance to accept Jesus into their hearts. I felt like I could handle that so I went up with about half of the leaders and sat down on the steps at the front of the sanctuary. As soon as the kids were told that they could come talk to a leader if they wanted to ask questions or talk about asking Jesus into their hearts, Karys came up and sat with me. I assumed she was just wanting to sit with me. But I asked her if she knew why kids were coming up and explained that they were wanting to ask Jesus into their hearts. I talked a little bit about it with her and then asked her if that was something she wanted to do. She said yes and so I helped her come up with the words for her prayer. I told Ryan about it later that evening but we didn't tell anyone else about it because we didn't know if she really had an understanding of what salvation was or anything. To be honest, we just weren't sure if she had really accepted Jesus or not.

Tonight (about 3 months after VBS) as I was drying her hair, we were singing the song "I've Got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy Down in My Heart" and she tells me that Jesus is in my heart and her heart. I asked her how she knew he was in her heart. She proceeds to tell me, "It was a long time ago at Kingdom Rock, I came up to the front and sat on the steps with you. I asked Jesus to come into my heart and He shined in front of me and came into my heart." I honestly do not know what to make of this! I had no idea she remembered that event because we haven't talked about it (since I wasn't sure that she really understood what it meant to ask Jesus into your heart and why someone would want to do it). I told Ryan tonight that maybe she had more of an understanding than either of us thought. I'm at least happy that she seems to understand what it means to be saved. :)

3 comments:

Debra-Mom-Nana said...

What a beautiful story! I'm sure she knows what that means. Children come with a much clearer mind and heart than we do as we get older. I think that's why Jesus always made a special place for children.

Julie said...

That is a beautiful story! I had tears running down my cheeks as I read it.

Erica said...

How awesome is that?!

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)