Monday, August 4, 2008

My Baby Slept in Her Own Bed!!

I am completely pumped about the above title. :) She slept in her bed last night!! It was like the biggest gift. I was able to sleep in my own bed and actually rest and relax. Supplementing her with formula is making a HUGE difference. Now I know she's actually filling herself up and that is such a relief. Of course, relief doesn't come without drama...at least not during this whole post-partum thing. The nursing contraption didn't work as wonderfully as I optimistically thought it would yesterday afternoon. It definitely helped her get food, but she is not doing well at latching on at all. So for our overnight feedings last night, we ended up only giving her formula because she was frustrated and I was frustrated and it just wasn't working out at all. Around 12:30 or so I had a major meltdown and Ryan was sweet enough to just hold me while I cried (okay, I can tell I'm overly emotional when just remembering it brings tears to my eyes!! :). I felt like I was failing her and I was feeling extremely upset that since she'd been born she'd basically been going hungry because she just wasn't getting all the milk she needed. Ryan reassured me that today at our appointment we'd be able to get some answers and suggestions and that I wasn't a failure. Thank goodness for sensitive husbands!!

We did get help at our appointment today. I told the lactation nurse that breastfeeding wasn't working so far and it was becoming very frustrating for me and for Karys. So we have a new solution now. She rented us a breast pump and I'm going to start pumping and adding in formula to give Karys two ounces of nutrition every three hours. She's downstairs with Ryan drinking her first bottle like this and it seems to be going well. This makes me happy...one reason being that he can help me with feedings!! :) Also, she was weighed again and gained 6 ounces from yesterday...yay!! We'll get a phone call later today to tell us how her blood work went. But so far, things are getting better. :)

2 comments:

Caci said...

I enjoy reading your posts. I hope that you are relaxing better and Karys is doing well. Don't stress about her not sleeping in her own bed or wanting to be held. She was in your tummy for 9 months listening to your heartbeat everyday, she still wants that comfort! But, I know that you also need some rest as well. You are doing great I am sure and the things that worked for others won't always work for you! You, Ryan and Karys will figure out what works for your family.....don't stress about any of that....being a mom has enough stress by itself!!!

Jaime said...

I very clearly remember sitting in the closet (I was trying to find something and just gave up) on my knees and crying when Russ was about 3 days ago. I thought it would be so much better when he was out of my tummy, but it was so much harder! All the questions and emotions and the lack of sleep and such.

You're normal. She's normal. You're both going to make it. You're a good mommy and you're getting advice and help. That's the best you can do. I'm so glad Ryan is being so helpful. That makes a world of difference.

As for breast feeding, my advice is keep at it. Don't give up. If you need to supplement, do it, but if you can make it even 2 months, she's getting great nutrition from your body. You know I don't live far--feel free to call me to come over and help you if you ever want. I remember it being hard. And when you add the hormones and emotions it becomes a big mess! :-) Really, call me, if you ever want to. :-)

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)