Friday, August 15, 2008

So Pretty!



I put this outfit on Karys today and she just looked so cute, I had to share. :)


Things are improving. The last two nights I started a bedtime routine with her. After her 10:00 bottle, we go upstairs and I sit in the rocker in her room. I pull out some little book and read a few pages to her, then I say a prayer for her: that Jesus would keep her safe and give her sweet dreams, etc. After that, I just sit there and rock her until she falls asleep and then put her into her bed. Now, in case you're concerned about me rocking her to sleep (you know, that I'm starting something that I'll have to continue forever), my intention is not to keep this up forever. However, from what I have read, a baby is unable to soothe themselves to sleep until about 2-3 months of age so hopefully at that point I'll be able to put her in her bed just slightly drowsy and let her get herself to sleep. She's still sleeping wonderfully. I put her down last night at around 10:30, when she finally fell asleep. Ryan got up at 2:30 this morning to feed her (we're cutting out one of her nighttime feedings) and put her back in bed. Then I got up at 7:00 to feed her again and she fell back asleep until around 9:30 or so. Yay!!


I've also figured out that she naps better during the day if I take her into her room. Whenever I put her somewhere in the living room to nap, she just isn't able to fall asleep soundly. Yesterday, I took her into her room when she fell asleep and she slept for an hour; I woke her up for her 4:00 bottle and she fell back asleep until her 7:00 bottle!! Then I did everything I could to keep her awake because I wanted to make sure she'd still sleep at night and she did! :) We even took our first walk around the neighborhood, using the stroller for the first time. She enjoyed it...at least until she wet her diaper. This girl cannot STAND for her diaper to be wet...she screams bloody murder!! My mom says that'll make it easy to potty train her. :)


Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We went for her 2 week check up yesterday. Not only is she back up to birth weight, she's added another 5 ounces...yay!! She was 20 3/4 inches long, which put her in the 66% for height (length? whatever.) and 7 lbs. 6 oz. which is only the 19% for weight! And she added another inch and a half to the circumference of her head. The doctor said she looked and sounded good and she was very good at answering our questions. Apparently everything we were concerned about is normal (such as...sometimes her breathing is very quick and shallow- apparently in her body's immaturity she forgets to breathe and then has to take several fast breaths to catch back up. Also, she has a bump on her head that is apparently fluid built up from the birth process that will go away. And when she sounds like she's wheezing it's stuff that's in her nose.) Thank goodness for pediatricians!!

4 comments:

Life with the Akin Clan said...

She is beautiful! Don't worry about rocking her to sleep. I rocked my babies and wouldn't trade it for the world. They are only little for a while. They weren't spoiled to it, but enjoyed it when it happened. Those are still some of my favorite memories. Enjoy each and every moment with her!

Lindsay said...

Awww... such a pretty girl. It sounds like you're doing such a great job with her!

Unknown said...

you are wise to read up on these things. I never knew at what age they begin to self sooth. We just stopped rocking Ryan, and I don't regret it! As he got older, we quit rocking him until he was sound asleep--we only rocked him for 5 or 10 minutes to calm him and get him ready to go to sleep. He didn't "have" to be rocked. We rocked him because we wanted to. I always treasured these times to just snuggle with him!

Sarah

Mike and Erin said...

Too cute! What a great schedule?! You guys are lucky. I was sorry to hear breast feeding didn't work out for you and Karys. Maybe next time... ;) I think we're leaving to go back to Italy on the 25th. There's a slight chance we might still be here after that, but I sure hope not. Let me know if you'll be coming down. I was hoping to give you a gift for Karys in person, but I can always mail it.

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)