Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What Can I Say...I Tried.

Breastfeeding is a no-go for me. I've tried it...I've tried to do it correctly and it just isn't going to work out for us. I got on some medicine to try and make my milk come in better. Unfortunately, the side effects from the medicine are just not worth it to find out if it was going to work or not. I tried it for 2 days. The first day I had trouble with a lot of restlessness that I didn't even think to associate with the medicine, until I had the same problem the next day. And by that point I was also dealing with wooziness. I'm okay with having a formula-fed baby, since that's what Ryan and I both were. The weird thing to me is that I feel like I'm the ONLY person doing that, since all of my friends breastfeed. Oh well...what's a girl to do? ;)

Here's a couple of pics my sister took the other day. The picture of Karys in the "my heart belongs to Mommy" onesie was the outfit I had her wear on my birthday. :) The pictures in the car were on the way to church for her dedication. Taking a newborn to church is a lot harder than it seems like it would be!! I'm not sure if we'll go back for awhile...either that, or our permanent place will be out in the foyer!! :)
Tomorrow she will be two weeks old. The last couple of days have been really good. She seemed to calm down and be more on the type of schedule I'd been told about for a newborn: "Eat. Play. Sleep." And I still can't complain about her overnight schedule...I have to wake her up for each overnight feeding!! I'm hoping at her two week appointment on Thursday that I'll be told we can cut out those overnight feedings and only feed her if she wakes up or something. That would be so wonderful!!

6 comments:

Caci said...

She is soo beautiful!!! I am so happy for you!! You are doing a great job with Karys!

Anita Dick said...

Don't feel bad about not being able to breastfeed. I did with Makala with great success, but it was just to hard with Raquel. I hated the formula because Raquel spit up...well was more fountain like but the pain was just to much to do it naturally. Then I got a skin infection from my C-section that I had to take meds for that made it more complicated. Raquel turned out well and was just as healthy as Makala. She bonded just fine to both Ryan and I, which was a little different than Makala because she always wanted me since I fed her. But it was awesome to see Ryan share in what I had with Makala. You will always feel bad that you couldn't do it, but it's a small drop in the bucket in the time you have with each other.

As for the night feedings here is the advice that I was given by Ryan's grandmother who raised 4 kids. She said, "I've never waken a sleeping baby to feed them." I took her advice with night feedings and my girls cut out night feedings by themselves. Only you know what's best for you kids, even above your baby's doctor. :) So hang in there, and be confident that God has equiped you to do what's best for your little girl. Everyday it gets easier. She's a cutie!

Kristen said...

Don't feel bad at all. I bet you are going to be a lot more relaxed now that you don't have to worry about the breastfeeding, and that will be good for you both!

Mommy Lion said...

No worries friend! There are lots of perfectly normal formula-fed babies just look at Ryan . . . on second thought! Just kidding! I'm with Kristen, with you less worried, things will go so much smoother! I still think you guys were amazing to get her to church Sunday!
And I still need to hold this precious baby girl! *smile* I'll check out my calendar for a child-free moment! *wink*

Jaime said...

You're really probably not the only person not breast-feeding, even though it might feel like it. You're doing what's best for you and that's okay!

Wow, she's 2 weeks already! Time flies! For me, anyway... :-)

Kristy said...

She is beautiful!

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)