Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Still Lookin' Good

I've been a mommy for a whole week now!! :) Things just keep getting better and better. We went back to the hospital today for the one week check-up that is required for all babies. My sweet little baby had to have her heel pricked while she was asleep and it was probably one of the saddest sounds I have ever heard...she let out this pained shriek and I just wanted to cry with her! I know it will only get worse: one day I'll have to take her to the doctor and she'll know what a shot is and I'll be forced to hold her down. Oh my word, I cannot even think about that right now.

On the positive side, she was back up to 6 lbs. 11 1/2 oz. Yay!!! :) But now I have to talk to my OB about a medicine that will hopefully help my body produce milk. Yeah, as of right now, I'm sorta broken in that department! I've been pumping since Monday and each time, I only get about 1/4 oz. when I should be getting a lot more than that. But the nurse I talked to today said that this medicine (I think it's medicine...who knows it might be some kind of supplement or something like that) would hopefully help my body do what it's supposed to do. There was a name for what is probably going on. I remember the first word of it was "primary" because usually if it does happen to you, it only happens with your first pregnancy. My mom had the same thing happen, so it makes sense that it would happen to me. The nurse told me that even if she only gets a little bit of breast milk, a little is better than none at all. So I will faithfully keep up my pumping, even if the end result makes it feel like a waste of time. Apparently, it's better than nothing!! :) I will do my best to get some new pictures on here ASAP. :)

2 comments:

Mommy Lion said...

I'm glad things are getting better for you! The first couple of weeks are always adjustment time . . . for every baby and mommy whether it's baby number one or two or even three! Not that I'm going to find out about three! *wink*

Kristen said...

It was great seeing you, Ryan, and Karys this morning! The baby dedication was great. She is such a cutie. I will be praying for you all...I know how rough it can be in the beginning. I remember all the worries I had at first.

About Me

My photo
I've been a wife for over seven years, a mommy of one for 2 and a half years, and a mommy of two as of 12/28/10! :) I married Ryan on July 26, 2003. We always said we wanted to have kids sometime around our fifth anniversary. The closer that time came, the more we started thinking we still needed another year. However, God held us to our original plan because Karys Elizabeth was born July 30, 2008...4 days after our 5th anniversary. :) I quit my job teaching kindergarten to take on the much more rewarding "career" of stay-at-home mom. There are some days that are hard, but I love it just the same. God surprised us again in May 2010 when we found out we were having baby #2. I went through the entire pregnancy expecting him to go past his January 9, 2011 due date since his sister was overdue. However, Zane Elliott surprised us by making his debut on December 28, 2010, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Now that we have "one of each" we could be "done" with our family, but hopefully that won't be the case. :)